Terms of reference
- Provide independent advice to the Prime Minister and Australian Government Ministers on national drug and alcohol strategies, policies, programmes and emerging issues.
- Provide independent advice to the Prime Minister and the Australian Government on improving the implementation and effectiveness of efforts to reduce the supply, demand and harm from drugs in Australia and internationally.
- Provide independent and strategic advice to the Prime Minister and Australian Government Ministers on drug and alcohol issues specifically affecting Indigenous people.
- Provide assistance and advice on drug policy and services to Australian Government departments, inquiries and other bodies such as parliamentary parties, as appropriate.
- Consult and liaise with relevant sectors and in particular the non-government sector on drug and alcohol related issues.
- Inform and educate relevant sectors and the general public’s knowledge on drug and alcohol related issues.
- Build and maintain partnerships across the range of sectors concerned in dealing with and addressing drug related issues.
- Work closely with the Inter-governmental Committee on Drugs and other National Drug Strategy partners to develop and implement effective strategies, policies and programmes to reduce the uptake and misuse of illicit and licit drugs.
- Maintain effective liaison with other stakeholders, public health advisory bodies and relevant peak non-government organisations, including consumer representatives.
- Develop a three year Work Plan for the Council.
- Report annually to the Prime Minister on the work of the Council.